Thursday, February 3, 2011

Baby Shower Recap


I wanted to share some photos of my baby shower to show off how amazingly talented, creative and generous my friends (and sister) are. While I love design, party planning is definitely not my forte. My go-to formula is to book a private or semi-private room at a fun restaurant, get my friend Natalie to make invitations and then just show up! In contrast though, my friend Jess (blogger behind Jackson's Lane) is an amateur party planner (who should maybe consider going pro!). She turned my friend Christina's beautiful home into the perfect spot for a shower with beautiful, tasteful decorations, thoughtful details and some really great food (much of which I have my sister Chef Babs to thank for).


The theme of the shower was "feather the nest," so of course the primary decorations were birds and feathers. I loved the feather wreath over the fireplace decorated with BB Conn's initial and a glittery bird. The colors are very "Martha Stewart" to me and then blend in perfectly with the home's more traditional decor, softer color palette and soft gold touches. I think that's a huge part of decorating for a party: the theme and decorations really need to work with your home's existing decor.



Simple white roses and blue hydrangea are scattered throughout the downstairs in small clusters. I think this is a great way to get a lot of bang for your buck and you can be guaranteed to get a sophisticated look when you keep arrangements simple, tight and petite.


Large manzanita branches in a tall vase (filled with feathers, of course!) create a fanciful tree for more glittery birds. Guests were asked to write notes and advice on pretty paper ornaments and hang them on the tree. I thought this was a great touch and a wonderful keepsake for the honoree -- and it would work equally well at a bridal shower.


A close up of the tags. I thought the paper was absolutely lovely and the tiny birds nests brought texture and a bit of color.


The ladies show that even paper plates and plastic cutlery can look chic with the right presentation. I also love the mint julep cup for the floral arrangement.



Jess decorated the dessert buffet with arrangements featuring baby/toddler pictures of Dave and I. The height of the arrangements work perfectly with the tall mirror and the pictures add the perfect personal touch. Again, this would work equally well at a bridal shower or engagement party.



The dessert spread. Don't you love the cupcakes decorated to look like bird nests? My sister made them with toasted coconut and candied eggs. My sister and I joked that I'd get gestational diabetes from my shower! Given that she insisted I take the leftover cake home, I'm starting to fear that there may have been some truth in our jests!


The favors were cookies made by Jess's sister-in-law, who turns out to be (in addition to an OB/GYN) a fabulous baker/decorator. I love how they incorporate my nursery colors as well as the shower's avian theme. They tasted as good as they look, I can assure you.


The lovely hostesses. Thanks ladies for a very memorable baby shower!