Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"From the Desk of . . . "



Greetings,

I've always been fascinated by writers - and especially those fine people writing about interior design.  Their jobs just always sound SO exciting - setting new trends, compiling new interiors, really being on 'the inside' of interior design.  Though to be honest, many people that I meet say the same thing ("it sounds SO exciting!") about being an 'interior designer,' so I'm quite sure there's a certain amount of drudgery involved as well.  

One of the aspects of blogging community that I love - is a chance to peek behind that particular curtain - and there are several of my favourite writers and magazine editors that are sharing great information and inspiration on their blogs :

Dominique Browning - "Slow Love Life."  You must remember Dominique's name from her time as editor of the much loved House & Garden magazine.  (God, I STILL miss that magazine!)  I remember her letters from the editors were always gracious, insightful missives - and her blog feels the same way - beautifully written and  incredibly inspiring.

Clinton Smith - "Smith on Style."  Mr. Smith is the editorial director of one of my favourite magazines - Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles - and if this magazine isn't a regular part of your design reading, you are missing something amazing.  Clinton has just started blogging - and I'm excited to see the direction his new blog takes.

Margot Austin - "Margot Austin." From our friends up north, Margot is senior design editor at Canada's Style at Home magazine.  Clever.  Witty.  Fresh.  Inspiring.  

Crystal Gentilello - "Plush Palete."  Crystal is the force behind the very popular new e-magazine, Rue.  Even after only three issues, Rue is clearly off and running . . . And I love reading about Crystal's design inspirations that are a regular part of her blog.  Design.  Fashion.  Travel.  It's wonderfully girly - and a breath of fresh air!  

Ronda Carman - "All The Best."  A constant source of inspiration - and a virtual glossary of all 'the people to know' - Ronda brings her great knowledge and clear love of design to her blog.  She just completed a re-design of her blog - which I am loving!  And she's also just started writing as well for the Huffington Post - congrats!

Patricia Shackelford - "Mrs. Blandings."  Many times, I'll save reading "Mrs. Blandings" until the very end.  Almost like one would wait for dessert.  I love her beautiful, honest writing style and her wicked sense of humour.  Though I was sad to hear that she had recently moved - my second thought was, "Oh, the new house will be perfect fodder for the blog!  I can't wait to see what she does!"

Happy reading,
Scot