Monday, March 7, 2011

Interview: San Francisco Interior Designer Kendall Wilkinson

Kendall Wilkinson’s love for interior design began while studying in Paris. Today, she leads the full-scale San Francisco firm, Kendall Wilkinson Design & Home. Over her distinguished career, Kendall has received many industry accolades and was selected as a contributing designer to the prestigious San Francisco Decorator Showcase six times and ELLE DÉCOR’s first Showhouse in 2010. 

Kendall has a wonderful ability to artfully mix authenticity and modernity while staying true to her client's tastes. Eco-friendly design has also been a priority and  recently she has helped several clients create "healthy homes."  

kendall wilkinson interior design photo
SB: Your designs are beautiful, inviting and multi-layered. When did you know you wanted to be an interior designer?

KW: I always had a penchant for the arts, and in my early professional years was figuring out what that meant exactly. I knew I loved fashion, travel and architecture.  I was actually working in the film industry in Southern California for a few years when one fateful night over dinner with my interior designer mother, I had an epiphany.  As my mother discussed her job, I suddenly realized it might be the right career for me as well.  It was not long after that I went out on my own shortly was up and running with my own clients. Twenty years later, it was a career decision that still brings me much happiness. 

chic designer living room blue red
SB:  How would you describe your personal style?

KW: Like my interiors, my personal style is often influenced by French fashion, color, texture and layering of interesting things to create a look. I love reading fashion magazines to see how hemlines can influence sofa skirts- it’s a fun interplay between my personal style and my business.   I also notice that when I am really involved in a color scheme for a client, I tend to wear more of those colors. 

timeless living room designer wilkinson
SB:  What type of architecture are you personally drawn to?

KW: Neo-Classical architecture has always appealed to me, hence why SF is an ideal places for me to be.  I particularly like how it can lend itself to a really contemporary interior, and does not necessarily dictate a classic design.  

yellow red formal living room designer
SB:  Your portfolio is gorgeous and diverse in style. Was it easy for you to avoid a ‘signature’ style?

KW: I think that a designer can be really diverse, and still have a style that people recognize on some level. I like to think that I evolve, but still keep my core design principals intact.  Even though my portfolio is really varied at first glance, you might see that across the board I do tend to be quite tailored, crisp, and clean, and love the use of bold color.  I am traditional in my approach, but never stuffy. Antiques will also always be one of my truest loves, so you’d be hard pressed to see a project that didn’t feature my vintage treasures among the newer ones, whether it’s a very traditional or totally modern interior.

elle decor showhouse kendall wilkinson entry
SB:  Who would you most like to collaborate with on a project?

KW: Elsie de Wolfe, Sister Parish, Dorothy Draper and Albert Hadley are among my favorite influences. It would be amazing to partner with one of them.  I often draw influence from them, but try to put my own twist on their classics. It would be interesting to see whether they appreciated the new interpretations.

favorite interior designer paint colors wilkinson
SB:  Do you have “go to” paint colors? If so, which ones?

KW: It’s amazing how a handful of colors can actually work well, and yet still look so different in many spaces. I often use a shade of blue called Ann Hall #39. In fact our design studio is painted in it. It is relaxing and fresh and turns from misty blue to gray blue depending on the light. I also love Benjamin Moore “Fernwood Green” and “Winter Gray” {which despite the name is a gorgeous violet shade}.   

coral fabric back dining chair designer formal
SB: Which of today’s interior design trends are here to stay and which ones will we see fade away?

KW: Timeless design is timeless because the core principals remain attractive for years to come, even if the surface items are a little more trendy. For example, a given print or colors may become passé, but if they are upholstered on really well constructed, beautiful furniture, it can be easily changed. I like to create pieces that will become the antiques of the future, so it’s ok if they need a new throw pillow down the line.

chinoiserie blue orange bedroom designer
SB: Where do you recommend clients splurge versus save?

KW: I do the splurge/save exercise often, as it’s a good way to evaluate the design elements that are really important to a client. I always say never save on things like your master bed, your carpets or your plumbing. But, if you need to use retail for a family room sofa or want to opt for less expensive chairs around a busy kitchen table, go for it. We have to be practical.

white kitchen kendall wilkinson interior design
SB:  What’s the greatest reward you’ve had from your career in design?

KW: There is something so gratifying and joyful about putting the final touches on a design that you’ve poured your heart into. Any passionate designer you talk to will likely say the same. Good design can really change people’s well being, and the way they use their homes. It’s a wonderful feeling. I hope I have imparted that enthusiasm to all of my clients.

peach green bedroom window seat designer
SB:  Fill in the blank. No room is complete without…     

KW:  Vision. A well-appointed interior is not always just about the things in it, but whether the space was approached with some foresight and love of design.  The rest just seems to fall into place.

kendall wilkinson design quote
SB:  What's next for Kendall Wilkinson Design & Home?

KW:  Kendall Wilkinson Design & Home have officially merged into a single enterprise this year. Hence my design team is more fully engaged than ever in the progression and aesthetics of the retail division. I see some really exciting things ahead as we continue to put our creativity to use in bringing our customers the most unique goods they’ve seen from us yet. 

Specifically, be on the look out for our new store window vignette - “Glamorous Escape”. Here I am sharing my love for what is hot on the runway and making it real in our shop. I have taken inspiration from Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar, and will bring it to life. I am loving the colors shown in the magazines with shades of pinks, puttys, grays, and minks, with a bit of sparkle! What’s hot in fashion can also be hot in design. As Coco Chanel once said, “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” Explore your passions….be bold and unique. 


* all photos used with permission from Kendall Wilkinson Design & Home