Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Design is Fun!

While the flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco was only an hour, I felt the need to buy a tall stack of magazines to keep me occupied. I pulled my favorite images and articles and definitely saw a trend - design is fun! Gone are the days of monochromatic rooms and drab colors - whimsy, fun and eclectic are what the people want. Here are some of my favorite pieces:



This birdcage chair from Kelly LaPlante, featured in Western Interiors is so whimsically fun. Extra points to her for going for it in red rather than playing it safe in white or black. Though I'm not sure using that chair would ever qualify her as "playing it safe."

In a similar style, I've loved these Louis XV Canopy chairs for quite a while - they have them in the lobby of the Kelly Wearstler designed Eastern Columbia Loft building here in LA.

Love this ad for Horchow


This chair from Jayson Home & Garden was featured in this month's Harper's Bazaar.


Western Interiors also had some great whimsical sofas in their profile of Windsor Smith
Her Entry Round Settee (from the Windsor Smith Home collection)
And her Chloe sofa
You can buy this one from Anthropologie


These fun colorful stools from a Ralph Pucci ad are fantastic. I'd love the black and silver in my living room.

From the India Mahdavi collection.


Domino Magazine had a great image of a peacock feather from Jamali Garden - here are some of the great peacock and feather accessories from their website:




These peacock feather garlands would make sophistocated Christmas decorations. Peacock feathers: 1. Tinsel: 0.


2 or 3 peacock feathers in a tall vase would be elegant...


This would be stunning as part of a floral arrangement... or even just laying on my bedside table...

Design is fun!