Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Stop Procrastinating and Get Organized: Step One


OK, OK... I am a professional organizer & designer and I confess, I have been procrastinating too. I've been thinking about starting this blog for months and have been waiting for the "perfect" time to start. Well, there is no perfect time friends. The time is now. Let's get going and simplify our homes and lives.


The first question my clients ask is, "Where and how do I begin?" I always answer with this question back, "What in your home is causing you the most pain and discomfort?" That is where we typically begin. For my last client, it was her cluttered bedroom. Step by step we created an action plan that outlined simple "tasks" for her to complete to reach her goal of making her room a peaceful, clutter-free retreat.

Many times the biggest hurdle in getting organized is procrastinating. Here is the first step in stopping procrastination...

Take Action
Plan your mission and keep it simple. Just select the one project you must get done to feel productive. It may be going through that pile of mail, purging old shoes from your closet, or organizing the utensil drawer. Keep it simple and choose a manageable item you can complete in 5-15 minutes. Break the day up into a series of "sessions" for other tasks and balance the time spent planning with time spent doing. Don't over think it and take too much time planning ~ this too can cause procrastination. Once complete, review your progress, pat yourself on the back (or reward yourself with a nice glass of vino) and plan your tasks for the next day. I find my clients get more and more motivated as they complete tasks.

Stay tuned for Step Two...