Thursday, May 7, 2009

Week Two: The Foundation

UPDATE:

My mom drove by the new house today and it looks like framing is well underway. It's completely astounding how much visual progress can get made in just a few days, particularly in the early stages of construction. Can't wait to see it myself on Saturday!

_____________________________

On Sunday Dave and I drove out to the 'burbs to take a peak at the process on the new house. Despite the heavy rains we had earlier in the week, they managed to complete the underground plumbing and pour the foundation. I know this must be some sort of optical illusion, but the footprint of the house feels so tiny (in stark contrast to the immense driveway). I've been in a completed house with a nearly identical floor plan so I know that the house is, in fact, far from tiny. I'm excited to swing by this weekend (which will mark the end of week two of construction) to see if they've managed to frame the house. It'll be so much easier for me to visualize our new home once it has a third dimension.

I was pleasantly surprised to see though that the area leftover for what will become our backyard [read the red dirt above] is actually quite spacious. A good thing since it was a priority for Dave to have more yard this time around. In fact, compared to the tiny urban garden we have now, it's positively huge. Olivia and Clio won't know what to do with all the space. I also like that our backyard fence is a 7-foot high brick fence (which we get because the house abuts a street rather than another lot). It'll be so much more private (and much sturdier) than the standard-issue 6' foot fence.