Saturday, February 28, 2009

"Another piece of Pye . . . "


Good afternoon,

I trust that everyone is having a productive and/or relaxing weekend thus far. I ran across this image again the other day (actually looking for something else) and it, once again, took my breath away.

I can clearly recall seeing Roger Banks-Pye's delicious apartment for the first time. So clever. So detailed. So remarkable. SO inspiring. I remember flipping through (maybe it was House Beautiful?) enumerable times trying to emblazon each image in my mind. It *still* inspires me.

One of my all-time favourites was this bedroom. At its most simple description, it's just a riot of pattern within a very tight colour story. But look again at the balance/contrast of the patterns in the space, at the play of textures and finishes. Good grief, the man varnished textile onto the floor instead of using any other kind of floor treatment. Varnished textile on the floor! Seriously! It's genius, pure and simple . . . and complicated, and lush, and cozy, and everything to which I aspire.

off to another rehearsal,
tartanscot