Thursday, April 22, 2010

Shop Like a Design Blogger: Material Girls

This week's great shopping tips come from Lauren, who runs the Houston-based arm of the multi-city blog Material Girls. Although Lauren got her design training at OU, Lauren now lives and works in Houston as an interior designer specializing in kitchens and baths at Kitchen & Bath Concepts. In addition to her day job, Lauren is preparing to launch her own interior design business, Lauren Haskett Fine Design. It goes without saying, I think, that I can't wait to be able to afford her services in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future.

* * *

Thank you so much for including me, Averill! I love this concept and I have greatly enjoyed the series so far. As a designer I have access to innumerable trade-only resources, but I thought I'd share my favorite "retail" joints I scope out for clients and myself!

1. Fyndes - Vintage Heaven on the Internet! Ebay not your thing? No problem, this well edited selection of everything from furniture to art is way less stressful with new products added constantly.

Vintage Italian Table - yes, please!

The lucite arms and legs on this chair are stunning. I'd love to redo this in a bright chevron print fabric.



2. Fabricadabra - Ikat pillows in so many great colors and patterns!




3. Mockingbird Manor - my go-to Oklahoma City staple. Run by owner, Liz Brown, this darling house converted into store on Western Avenue has it all. I could spend hours in here (and have)! I really miss it now that I live in Houston and always make a trip by there when I'm in OKC.

4. Excess, Blue Hills, Arbor, and Marburger Farms bi-annual Antique Shows in Warrenton & Round Top, Texas. I can not tell you how much I love being less than two hours away from this! It is amazing, something you can't explain...you must experience it firsthand. You name it, you can find it.




These petrified wood stumps were absolutely stunning in person!

5. HomeGoods - it's pretty embarrassing how many HomeGoods finds have ended up in this designer's home. Lamps, bedding, decorative boxes, agate bookends, and more lamps! You must go in the store with a discriminating eye, buy more than you need, get it home, and edit!

6. Furniture Outlets - Horchow Finale, Pottery Barn, Wisteria, and Restoration Home Outlets are TREASURE TROVES. I love my Missoni teapot I scored at Horchow Finale in Dallas for under $30!

The best part about the Pottery Barn outlet? The Williams Sonoma Home furniture and accessories! The PB outlet in San Marcos, Texas runs various specials weekly so call before you go. You may hit an, "extra 50% off furniture" sale!

Last but not least, read design blogs! Blogs like Averill's are such an excellent source for new websites, shops, designers, and inspiration.

Next Week's Guest Blogger: Shannon from Pink Wallpaper!