Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"An Ode to English Design . . . "

Photography by Virginia Macdonald

Greetings all,

As one might imagine, any article titled "English Eccentricity" is bound to catch my attention - lol. And this charming home of Sean Ward and Stephen Fillmore highlighted by Style at Home magazine clearly pinged my design radar. Just a little home from the 1870s, in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto, filled with beautiful antiques, flooded with light, and bursting with comfortable style.

The Dining Room
click any image for a larger, more detailed view.

"The modern art paired with traditional furniture and in particular
the carpet creates an energy, whether we're dining or just passing through."
- Sean Ward

I'm almost always a sucker for a collection of well-used antique china - gathered from
local antique stores as well as family heirlooms.


Skylights. French Doors. The down-filled loveseat for extra seating. The charming Italian toile chandelier. And the flexibility of the gate-legged table. Perfection. And I love the trim detail on the wall treatment. (Maybe upholstered with the same textile from the loveseat?) And the fresh, bright green colour.



Aaaahhhhh . . .

"I injected some oomph with orange saris," says Sean. "then
we spruced up the junk shop chandelier with
spray paint and new shades."

"The result is a look with an English sensibility – that slightly
eccentric style of mixing periods of furniture
and art, and patterns and texture."
- Sean Ward

If only I could fit a upholstered chair in my bathroom at
my home. How happy would THAT make me?


Sean Ward and Stephen Fillmore in the entryway. with the dogs.

Cheers,
tartanscot