Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"Wait. What Smells . . . "



Greetings.

I can't smell. Maybe we've covered this here - maybe not - can't quite recall. It's a condition that runs on my mother's side of the family. Mom can't smell. I believe my great-aunt Mary couldn't smell either. People always ask how it has affects my ability to taste - and since I've never been able to smell - I don't have any point of reference. But, it's never really bothered me. And as handicaps go - it's not too much to complain about. I DO love when my mom hands me something as ask, "What does this smell like?" "Wait, you can't smell either." "Sorry."

But my ongoing challenge has always been buying cologne and scented candles. I usually shop with my great friend Kelly - who has an immense vocabulary - and can describe smells in an amazing way - that I'm able to understand. And I thought he had a rare gift - until my other friend Mark began telling me about the "CB I Hate Perfume" boutique in Brooklyn.


(Click for a complete description of the collection)

The best part are the descriptions. Seriously. "Gathering Apples" - Macintosh apples with a hint of old weathered wood. "To See a Flower" - delicate spring flowers, green shots, wet dirt, and a bit of moss. And my favourite "In the Library" - the scent of English novels, Russian and Moroccan leather, worn cloth, and a hint of wood polish." Yay.

Click here for the complete website. If nothing else, it's GREAT reading.

Sniff,
tartanscot