Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!


I hope everyone capped off 2009 with a wonderful and festive evening. I'm signing off for the weekend, but I'll be back next week, refreshed and renewed for what I can only hope will be a great 2010. This year, I toyed with the idea of dispensing with New Year's resolutions altogether; after all, why set myself up for failure with a slew of resolutions that I'll just break before January is over? But, ultimately I decided a bit of aspirational thinking never hurt anyone and, to quote C. S. Lewis, "you are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream".

So what are my goals and dreams for 2010? Many of you have encouraged me to pursue a career in design and -- while I'm immensely flattered -- I actually really enjoy my day job. So, above all, I dream of stability at work in 2010. Since February 2008 I have been through two jobs, three employers and five (yes, five) bosses. After some bouncing around and a lot of luck, I've managed to land a job I really enjoy and a boss that I both admire and like. Continued stability at my current job will (finally) give me an opportunity to build a reputation and achieve some career growth. But that's not to say that decorating and blogging don't figure into my goals for the coming year; there are plenty of design projects I have up my sleeve for the new house (more on that to come) and I'd love to continue to build on the successes that I've had blogging over the past 12 months. As corollaries to those hobbies, I'd add pushing the boundaries of, and continuing to develop, my own sense of style as goals for this coming year as well.

And what about you? What are your New Year's resolutions?

Graphic is a part of the Keep Calm and Carry On Printable Spoof Calendar from Little Brown Pen.