Friday, March 12, 2010

"And the drawbridge closes . . . "


Greetings all,

Whew. Another busy weekend. As you all might have read a few posts back - I've decided to completely re-decorate my place this Spring. Frankly, it's been a long time coming - and I'm really excited to be started. Don't get me wrong, I loved my old house the way that it was. But, I needed to experiment with some new colours. to edit. to re-imagine. Maybe use a few of my favourite textiles that just never quite worked in the old plan. Oh, and I needed a bigger dining table. (I blame this entire project on the need for a bigger dining table.)

So now I'm spending my days and nights in my lovely home, but with only about 4 pieces of furniture. My bed. An antique mahogany dresser. An 12 foot long bookcase. The new dining table. Tons of table lamps all gathered together in a corner. And, quite frankly, a bit of an echo. lol. Everything else is out either being reupholstered, stored, or sold. So, no guests over to the house for a few months - unless they're helping me to paint.

But best of all, all of the empty space is giving me a great chance to edit through most of my possessions and see what I really need. To see what I'm just keeping because I've forgotten that I owned it. Do I really need to keep ALL of my competitive fencing gear? I know that stemware is from Ralph Lauren, but I never seem to use them. And you know, I never truly loved that little cocktail table in my bedroom - why not get rid of it and find something better.

And speaking of re-covering - here's a sneak peek at the one of a pair of vintage armchairs from my bedroom - formerly in olive velvet - but, soon to be gloriously resplendent in chartreuse silk.


So back to work. I'm getting a coat of paint on the cabinets in my kitchen this weekend. Something dark. Something dramatic. Something new.

Cracking a window first,
tartanscot