Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chocolate Yumminess

A few weeks ago, my friend Jessica (of Life's Little Gems, one of my favorite blogs) and I took a chocolate making class at the Urban Craft Center here in LA.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but basically, you melt cacao butter and a sweetener together over a double boiler, add cacao powder, blend, then add any extras (milk for milk chocolate, mint extract for mint yumminess, etc). It is both easy and difficult - it is fairly fast to make, though there are many silly things you can do that can really mess it up.

The chocolate I made in the class turned out terrible (or I guess as terrible as chocolate can be) - the sugar I used refused to melt so I ended up with a pool of granulated sugar at the bottom of each chocolate (we were working over electric portable burners, which didn't get very hot.)

This time I used amazing raw honey, so I wouldn't have the sugar dissolving issues again - turned out great!

I used a few different type of molds - this awesome Day of the Dead themed mold for dark chocolates...


And a heart shaped mold for my milk chocolate yummies. We had much fun making our chocolates Sunday night - next time we plan on getting really experimental and gourmet - think bacon and sea salt!