Saturday, October 2, 2010

"Q is for . . . "



Hey y'all,

We're going to swing a bit off topic here - and I promise to post my original idea for "Love Letters" part "q" - a collection of design quotes - on the blog soon.  But, today I've got something kinda weighing on my mind - and it feels appropriate to talk about it here.  I'm just gonna start typing - and press 'publish' at some point -

There's been a great deal of press coverage over the last few weeks about gay and lesbian kids who've been committing suicide because of relentless bullying at school.  Whenever there is a 'press frenzy' on any particular topic - I always wonder if it IS actually getting worse - or just getting more coverage . . . and I don't really have a specific answer to that question.

Now, every so often (as in 'an almost neurotically everyday' kinda often -lol) I check with google to see how many people read my blog each day.  It's an obsession that I'm not particularly proud of - but frankly, it's something I do.  And I always wonder who is out there - reading about my love of bed canopies and beach workouts.   Or about my trips to New York.  Or frustrations about delayed shipments from vendors.  I heard someone joke that no one reads design blogs - except other design bloggers - but, those number just don't add up . . . lol.  So I know you're out there.  Reading.

But, if you're reading this.  And you're young.  And you're gay.  And you're afraid.

I have one thing to say.  It gets better.

Q is for . . . .



. . . Queer.

I am rarely, if ever, political on this space.  That's not why I started writing this blog 2 years ago.  It's not what I want this blog to be about.  And telling you that a 46 year old interior designer living in San Francisco is gay can't even come as any kind of shock - lol . . . but, I love the life I've carved out for myself.   I have an amazing collection of people surrounding me that I could NEVER have imagined when I was in middle school.  Ugh, middle school.  Being taunted.  Getting beaten up.  Being spit on.  I've often wanted to go back in time - and tell my younger self - "don't worry.  It gets better."

A wonderful project is growing over on Youtube started by Dan Savage.  Gay men and women.  Telling their stories to a younger generation.  You can do a search under "it gets better" and find over 100.  And it seems more get added everyday.  









It gets better.  I promise.

If you need to talk to someone - The Trevor Project is an excellent resource.

Cheers,
Scot