Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Babies, Babies Everywhere

Everywhere I turn, it seems my friends are popping out babies! Hopefully, this means I will be asked to consult on lots of nursery designs. Well, after you guys see this posting, you’ll definitely call me before picking the paint color for your nursery.

I seem to go two different routes with kid design - one is super stylized/Jonathan Adler funk-adelic. The items below fall in that category:

I have long been a fan of Charlie Harper illustrations. His illustrations would look great framed on a wall, or could be the jumping off point for your own custom mural.

Images below are from the Charlie Harper Studio, where you can buy lithographs and posters.


Image above from Google Images.



I would love the book (image from Amazon) with a retrospective of his work.


Disneyland's "It's a Small World" is a classic kids ride. We rode it incessantly as kids. The big ticking clock face has always reminded me of Jonathan Adler's Utopia collection. If Disney sold a clock with that face, I'd buy it for the next baby shower I attend. Image from here.

Fun animal-rific bedding from Pottery Barn Kids.
Orange and pink and monkeys. Need I say more?

My friend Kristen is going to have the above birds in her baby girl's nursery. Pink and green nursery = baby with great taste who will grow up to be an interior designer.

More fun hip animal prints from Dwell Studio for Target

While I’m not advocating the use of expensive Jonathan Adler pottery in a children’s room, I think the design motifs from his Menagerie and Utopia Collections make great inspiration for a custom wall mural. Wouldn’t an elephant in this style look amazing on a wall mural?




Like the whale wallpaper from my wallpaper posting!

The second route I seem to like for kids' design is uber-sophisticate.

This daybed from Oly Studio is a great piece that would transition from nursery through teens. It can serve as a spot for a tired mom or grandma in the early years, and be a great spot for a best friend to sleepover in or a good reading nook down the road.





Pottery Barn Kids has some sophisticated pieces for kids - like the chandeliers above.

Classy lady-baby bedding from Dwell Studio for Target

Happy baby making :)