Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Style Compass says Head North!

Style Compass is a column of sorts on the 1st dibs website... It's where I got some of the great images for my blog on Ruthie Sommers. Right now they are featuring the work of Kelly Wearstler. We all love to hate her hair-do's on Top Design, but her designs teach us some great lessons...

Lesson 1:Blue, gray and creme with a splash of orange makes a great color palette. I'm translating this lesson to my own living room. Also, I love this Moroccan blue tile rug. Add great exotic touches, but don't make a room theme-y...


Lesson 2:

A zebra-printed cow hide is always a good idea.

Lesson 3:Don't be afraid to go buckwild with a pattern (even on the ceiling!) But do balance it with solid, neutral pieces.

Lesson 4:Don't be afraid of color. This is a well thought out mixing of color. Too much primary color creates a "romper room" effect. These jewel tones almost create a harem effect, but I kind of dig it...

Lesson 5:
Do something different with your stone. I have long wanted to do an entire post on bookmatched stone (what you see above), but this image remains my only favorite. Bookmatching stone takes the inherent lines and forms in the stone and matched them up symmetrically to create the above pattern. Yes, it somewhat resembles the female nether-regions, but it's stunning in person.

I also love this Ann Sacks herringbone black marble flooring (I also showed this image in my bathrooms posting). Do something more interesting with your stone than 12" x 12" tiles. Please.

Lesson 6:

If you are going to wear silly hair styles, be prepared to be mocked Kelly.
I say better to be mocked than to be culturally irrelevant, but that's easy for me to say...
Funny hair images via Bravotv.com