Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Never Back Down

I have mentioned my white cowhide more times than I can count. We ordered it four months ago to go in the living room. The living room is 99.9% completed, and all the furniture is waiting for their cow friend to join the party.

When I ordered the hide through a local store (I was buying it there to use up a credit), I had this in mind...

Image from Williams Sonoma Home.


I was delighted to get a call from the shop on Saturday telling me the hide had finally arrived! I was quite excited, until I saw this...

a. It's not white.

b. It looks like road kill.

Fortunately the store agrees that this is not an acceptable "white" hide. The bad news: they will not give us a refund. The good news: they are going to keep working on getting us a white hide.

Lessons learned:

1. Never Back Down. I have friends and clients who are tempted to take goods they are unhappy with to avoid confrontation or for the instant gratification of having the item. If it's not what you want, do not accept it.

2. Sometimes you get what you pay for. This is a shop that sells things at a lower price. I'm all for The Look for Less, but if prices are too good to be true, there's probably some corners being cut. In this case, it's raccoon roadkill being passed.