Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Oh Suzani!

Another piece of inspiration from September's Elle Decor - this one via Nate Berkus - Oprah's wunderkind designer. I have an Oprah saved on my tivo just because I like a wall color he used. His home was featured in this month's Elle - and out of the corner of my eye I noticed some beautiful suzani's in great, bold colors - hot pink and a lime green. I did a little research - Yurdan.com tells me "Suzani means 'needlework'--specifically, the exquisite silk thread embroidery panels made by Uzbek women. Traditionally this embroidery work began at the birth of a daughter and continued, with the help of family and friends, until the bride's dowry was complete." My mother didn't make me a Suzani for my wedding, but I'll forgive her. Maybe I'll start a new family tradition.
Wikipedia says "Suzani an antique and decorative tribal textile made in Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and other Central Asia countries." Does that mean Borat has one?

The Suzanis from Nate's home. Beautiful.




Madeline Weinrib has some amazing pieces on her website in Suzani prints. Her stuff is also sold at ABC Carpet & Home, the 6 story wonder-mecca of interior design/furniture/accessories. If only I got out to the East Coast more often...





The UPS man just delivered these pillows from Pottery Barn for my new outdoor lounge (being delivered this Saturday!). We bought pink/red.




I saw this quilt a few months ago at Urban Outfitters and considered buying it for our guest bedroom.


Oh Suzani, oh don't you cry for me!