Monday, August 25, 2008

Spanish Tapas

A little nibble of Spanish tapas to start of your week...
As I mentioned while daydreaming of a nice Siesta, Patricia Urquiola is a name I see often while perusing for furniture on the Internet or flipping through design magazines. So I decided to look into her work a little deeper. She was trained in architecture in her native Spain (where I lived during my study abroad in college - I knew she and I were kindred design spirits)
See some of my favorite pieces below:



tropicalia chair




bohemian chair



caboche suspension - this is a light fixture I have admired for a while - so excited to realize this was co-designed by Patricia Urquiola!


smock - I love the leather detailing on this chair




fjord



antibodi


crochet rug - she understands my obsession with grandma-esque crafts.

pavo
- a beautiful modern version of a Mexican equipal chair
Images above from Architonic


This chair was in this months' Wallpaper Magazine. Love the stitching details.

Her pieces are so sculptural. They aren't cheap, but fortunately for my wallet, a house would look like a museum of modern furniture if filled with her pieces. One of her chairs mixed with less expensive, simple, clean, modern furnishings (from West Elm or Ikea) would separate you from your neighbors. The Jones' will want to be keeping up with you.