Wednesday, August 13, 2008

These Aren't your Grandma's Antiques

Well, depending on how cool your grandma is, maybe these ARE her's. My grandma has some really great vintage furniture and serving pieces at her house. Including a gorgeous Eames chair my grandfather used to sit in and read.
As I've mentioned in earlier postings, 1st Dibs is a treasure trove of vintage furniture. You can shop or just browse and get inspired (like I do). They send out weekly updates to subscribers of their newest goods -- after a little perusal here are some interesting finds...
A french marble coffee table. Doesn't this remind you of the rug below (rug I said, not drug!)




Made by the man who brought us this chair:

My father has two Bertoia chairs - how lucky am I to be surrounded by such mid-century modern furniture greatness.




Grandfather of the "naked" lights






Brass chest & side table from one of my favorite LA shops, Lawson Fenning, which carries both vintage and new pieces.




I knew that piece looked familiar when reading about Nate Berkus' home in September's Elle Decor (see my first posting from that article -"Oh Suzani" - below). Look on the right hand side. Also love the sawhorse legs on the desk, but that's a whole other posting


See how combining vintage pieces and modern finds creates a fantastic, ecletic vibe.