Tuesday, August 19, 2008

When You're in the Bathroom, European!

If you are American when you enter the bathroom and American when you leave the bathroom, what are you when you are in the bathroom? (see posting title for punch line)

A friend wants to re-do his bathrooms, inspiring me to look into some great images.

I'm really into herringbone pattern in tile recently (see floor of image below)
Image from Domino November 2005 (I knew there was a reason I held on to all those back issues)

The image below is from Elle Decor
Image below from Ann Sacks. This is Nero Marquina marble - a GORGEOUS black marble with white veining. The herringbone pattern keeps the bathroom floor from looking too institutional.
Check out this cute little white Carrara marble herringbone. Also Ann Sacks.

And while we're at it with gorgeous stone from Ann Sacks, one more to make you drool, White Onyx.



I also love rectangular tile - take a 3" x 9" tile, I've shown a Carrara marble image below (also Ann Sacks), but the tile doesn't have to be expensive. White Subway tiles are inexpensive but also clean and classic.


I think I really have marble on the brain - but I love the image below from Walker Zanger. Kind of Dean and Deluca (for you east coasters) or Joan's On Third (for my Angelenos) meets bathroom.


Here is a clean, modern bathroom - an ad for Concrete Revolution
Below are some more beautiful modern bathrooms from Dornbracht - a high end bathroom fixture company.

The stacked stone is a nice way to get that zen/spa vibe at home.

River stone is another great way to go for your spa bathroom. This image from Walker Zanger tile makes me crave a massage.
I leave you with a final image, also from the Dornbracht website. While this is entirely impractical (like my outdoor flokati rug image from the "Siesta" post) it's pretty darn stunning.