Monday, April 27, 2009

How much would you pay for a piece of furniture?


I've been obsessed with the Alton coffee table from Hickory Chair (and designed by Thomas O'Brien) since I saw it in the Williams-Sonoma Home catalogue a few weeks ago. It's simple and timeless, but with just enough unique detailing (like magazine racks-turned-legs!) to make it interesting. It's also made here in the States by hand out of FSC-certified hardwood, so quality-wise, it's top of the line. Of course though, it's nearly $3,000 and way more than I would normally pay for a piece of furniture. In fact, that's roughly double what I spent on my sofa and, well, that was a sofa.

When Dave and I first bought our house, we bought a lot of inexpensive pieces from Bombay Company, Target and Crate&Barrel's Ready to Assemble collection. Now, as we contemplate moving into our "forever" house, I'm starting to consider replacing these temporary pieces with higher quality/longer lasting furniture. In doing so though, I'm feeling the sticker shock of "real" furniture. Sure, I want a beautiful home filled with beautiful furniture that will stand the test of time, but at what cost?

So, while I impatiently wait for my beloved coffee table to go on sale (the likelihood of which I'm unsure of), I wanted to put the table on the table (so to speak): What's the most you've ever spent on an item for your house (and what was the piece in question)? On a more theoretical level, what's the most you would even consider paying for a piece of furniture?