Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"Mi, mi, mi, mi, mi . . . "


Good morning,

I'm getting a really slow start here this morning and it's all Verdi's fault. As I've mentioned before, I've been singing with the men's chorus of the San Francisco Lyric Opera for about 5 years. It has always been a fun company to work for - but, I usually only do about 2 shows a year. It's a huge time commitment and usually requires about 90 - 150 pages of Italian (or French) text to memorize. Part of this spring's repertoire features G. Verdi's Rigoletto and I'm *totally* on board for this one - and just to make it better, it's got a great twist. Instead of placing it in it's traditional Italian venue, we're setting it in Chicago during prohibition. It's going to be quite fantastic. There nothing like a good 1930's mafia war set to Verdi's fantastic score.

But my mind wanders, mainly from lack of sleep (a late tech rehearsal last night), a bad night's sleep (from a twisted ankle acquired during the fight scene at the aforementioned tech rehearsal last night), and from the busy day I have before gathering at the theatre for tonight's dress rehearsal. The good news: I have a great costume (a navy pinstripe DB mobster suit) and - it fits. seriously, it's actually even kinda comfortable . . . lol.

Are there any other opera fans out there? What's your favourite opera and why?

And if you're in the Bay Area . . . Come out and see us this weekend. We open on Friday night.

back to studying my score! (and designing decorative pillows and window treatments!)