Wednesday, April 8, 2009

"Ooooooo look . . . "

" . . . something shiny."  lol.

I, in fact, can be somewhat easily distracted.  But, thankfully, I am also somewhat easily entertained - lol - and one of my secret joys is . . .  cleaning and polishing silver.  Don't tell anyone.  It only makes me seem strange.

from the tartanscot table

I've been collecting silver for years - starting on a mad, silver-frenzied Saturday morning at the Portobello Antique market in London during my holiday vacation. Over the span of about 2 1/2 hours and four blocks, I was able to find service for fourteen from ten different vendors in 4 or 5 differing patterns.  Including some great serving pieces with my monogram.  Yay.  I've also been lucky enough to continue adding to my collection over the last few years and delight each time I find some new odd treasure.


I also use it everyday.  for everything.  My friends always ask if it bothers me to have to polish it all the time, but truly, by using it everyday and washing it promptly, it doesn't need polishing all that often.

According to sterling.com - "Sliver should be cleaned immediately after use, especially after contact with food that may cause corrosion or contain acids such as eggs, tomatoes, mayonnaise, or salt.  Many people are concerned about their silver tarnishing, but if you use it everyday, it will actually tarnish less."

silver for grand dining.

and silver for cold pizza, breakfast cereal, and 
home-made grilled salmon with fresh vegetables.

oh, and I love ironing sheet.  please, don't tell anyone.