Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Breakfast Room Inspirations

I thought I'd kick the morning off before my big trip with a little eye candy. I've been scouring the web for inspiration for a breakfast room with a built-in banquette and I've come across so many beautiful rooms I had to share. Don't you just wish you were sitting down at one of these tables with a cup of coffee, the Sunday newspaper and some peace and quiet?


Mary McDonald

Katie Ridder

Frank Roop

Aerin Lauder, Elle Decor, July 2009

As for my own little breakfast room, here's what I'm thinking:

For now at least, I'll keep the walls the same greige as the kitchen and family room and bring in color with accessories. I'll order the Coventry bench from Ballard Designs in an L-shape (you can order various lengths to get a more customized fit) and have it upholstered in a spa blue Sunbrella fabric, which should be able to withstand Olivia, the cats and a messy husband. I'll then reupholster a few of my existing dining chairs in the coordinating spa blue and cream stripe (which is on sale for a reasonably $17/yard) and maybe throw in a few throw pillows in the same striped fabric and a coordinating modern floral for good measure. While I'd love to be able to buy a new kitchen table, I'll be making due for now with my existing dark wood table.

Because the back wall of the breakfast room is a long one (almost 115') and faces directly out onto the family room, some statement art is definitely a "must" here. I'm thinking about ordering a triptych of prints from the Biltmore collection by Artaissance, which conveniently comes in a sky/snow colorway. I'm keeping my standard-issue Pottery Barn great white coup dinnerware, but will punch it up with some brightly colored serveware from Kate Spade's "Gwinnett Lane" pattern. For the table top, some perfectly lovely pink ranunculas from Sophie Dahy Designs atop a gorgeous Pagoda sky lucite tray from Iomoni.

P.S. - Stay tuned for an exciting announcement later today.