Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"Once upon a time . . . "


Good morning all,

28 years ago today. It was still dark outside. I had placed my alarm clock across the room so that there would be no way I could sleep through it. Stumbling out into the living room. Calling friends who I knew were also sitting blurry-eyed sipping coffee (actually, I think it was diet coke - I was only in high school.) Excited. Waiting. Watching. Giddy.

But, nothing could have prepared me for this. I still well-up with emotion whenever I see images of Diana stepping out of the covered carriage. And hearing the roar from the crowd . . . a roar that seemed the grow louder still as 'the dress' began to erupt onto the steps of St. Paul's. It was all so beautiful. The pageantry. The flowers. and oh my, the music. It all seemed so full of hope.




And it was the first time I heard the music of William Mathias - in an anthem written especially for the service -



Were you awake and watching? What are your memories?

like the corners of my mind,
tartanscot