Saturday, December 19, 2009

"I've been to London for Christmas . . . "


Greetings all,

For me, one of the most evocative opening lines in literature is from Out of Africa - "I had a farm in Africa." It feels like such a portentous statement. Those first six words let you know that the writer speaks of her time in Africa in the past tense. Something happened. Something changed.

Well, on a slightly smaller scale - I've been to London for Christmas. "been." Not "going," "been." Past tense. As in, not this year. I have several projects still in the 'thick of it' and don't feel comfortable being quite THAT far away for quite that long just at the moment. There was a crazed moment earlier in the week when went straight to Travelocity - grabbed a credit card - and thought "to hell with it - I'm going!" lol. But, after calming down - it's just not a good time to be away.

To say that I find London to be absolutely magical at Christmas is just a massive understatement. To be in a city filled with such rich history, such awe inspiring architecture, such beautiful music, and, well, such great shopping - jeez - I might run and grab my passport right now . . . .

Seeing this wonderful tree at the House of Parliament while on the way to Westminster Abbey for the Lessons and Carols service on Christmas Eve afternoon. Actually, it's usually still light as a pass by this tree - I tend to get to the service frightfully early so that I have a god place in line - and thus get a great seat.


Spending an afternoon at the National Gallery poking around at an amazing collection of artwork. And my other favourite The National Portrait Gallery is right around the corner.


Shopping at Covent Garden. The Paul Smith store is about 18 steps away from this little cafe and the first Neal's Yard Remedies shop is just down an alley, right around the corner.



Some years - it's been about more than just London. Riding on the Great North Eastern Railway, you an be in Scotland after a 4 or 5 hour trip up the coast . . . Passing through tiny villages. Seeing the rocking eastern coast of England.

with maybe a stop in Yorkshire - and another trip to Castle Howard.


Or maybe - Just straight through to Edinburgh - with its castle perched high on the rocky outcropping overlooking the city.


But, this year I'm here. In San Francisco. With great friends. Amazing music. A great business. And frankly, if yesterday is any sign, some wonderful weather.


And I wonder who might be sitting out there - wishing they were here . . .

with wander lust,
tartanscot

images all from google.