Friday, December 4, 2009

Let It Snow!


While talk of "Climategate" continues, Houstonians are enjoying one of heaviest and earliest snowfalls in recorded memory. Despite the fact that snow is only collecting on rooftops and lawns (just enjoy to be festive, but not enough to be treacherous), the majority of area businesses, including both of Dave and my employers, shutdown midday today due to the "winter storm".


I'll readily admit that we're kind of weenies here on the Gulf Coast when it comes to cold weather. After all, our winters average a mild 65 degrees and I could count the number of times I've seen snow in Houston on one hand. But, given the rarity of this event, I'm happy to have the shortened work day to take it all in. While I don't miss New England winters (living through four was enough for this lifetime thankyouverymuch), I do miss the first snowfall of the season, which is far more magical and idyllic than the tenth. Blanketed in white, everything seems so much cleaner and purer -- even towns like New Haven, CT, feel peaceful and look pretty after a fresh snowfall.

Wherever you are though, and whatever kind of weather you may be enjoying today, I hope you have a lovely and magical weekend!