Friday, December 25, 2009

"Aw . . . poop . . . "

"Candied Cookies"

Happy Christmas!

Greetings from the 'tartanscot kitchen' on a bright, beautiful Christmas morning. I've been up for hours getting some things ready for a holiday dinner I'm attending this afternoon. And I've made one of my favourite cookies.

My mother used to make these when my brother and I were kids - and we've always laughed at their appearance - because frankly, they look a little like 'poop,' but, good grief, they are the tastiest things on the earth. They bring back so many memories. From the 'milk and cookies' tradition when I was a kid - to 'hot tea and cookies' sitting with my mom, chatting about everything under the sun - in the years since I've moved away.



"Candied Cookies"

2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of milk
1 stick of butter
4 tablespoons of cocoa
2 1/2 cups of quick oats
3/4 cup of chopped walnuts and pecans
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1/2 cup of chunky peanut butter

directions
combine sugar, milk, butter, cocoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a rolling boil-stirring occasionally. Let mixture boil of 90 seconds. Remove from heat.

Add in remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. Spoon mixture onto wax paper. Let sit for 30 minutes until hard.

Eat.

So yummy.

Also on their way to Christmas Dinner - Spiced Walnuts. Served in individual tartan cones.

And it wouldn't be a party without a pecan pie.

I hope everyone is having an amazing holiday.

Cheers,
tartanscot