Wednesday, December 9, 2009

"It Only Takes a Spark . . . "

David Linley, House Beautiful 1993. Photographer, Christopher Simon Sykes

Greetings and Salutations,

I was chatting with my friends David and Barbara last evening - and we began to reminisce about those specific images that we could STILL recall seeing for the first time. And after a moment of practically foaming at the mouth - I began blathering on about the living room in the London flat of David Linley, from the early 90's. Of course, they were both looking at me like 'who?' 'when?' 'which room?' - and I leaned back in my chair and my mind swirled away into the past . . . . .

I love this room. It's from Linley's flat from back in his bachelor days (in 1993) when he was first making a name for himself in London and on the world stage for his intricate woodworking creations. Love the dark colour palette. Love the heavy velvet drapes. Love the dramatic artwork. And I love the description that Linley gives of his home -

"It's really a stage set, this whole flat," says Linley, a kinetic
figure in jeans and purple suede loafers. "The walls change
color quite frequently. The bedroom was blue a
month ago. Ideas are tried out here."
- House Beautiful, 1993

Okay. THAT sounds familiar. lol.

I'm curious - what was one of your 'touch stone' moments? When your creativity was sparked? One of those first images that said, "Good grief. I've been waiting for you to find me."

remembering,
tartanscot