Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Holiday Round-Up: 2010 Calendars

Dabney Lee at Home Monogrammed Desk Calendar ($25)

As the end of the year rapidly approaches, I'm beginning to look forward to the start of 2010 with a renewed sense of optimism. Like many of you, 2009 was a year of great anxiety for Dave and me. In many ways, I know that we are very blessed to have made it through the year with our jobs, bank accounts and sanity (relatively) in tact. Indeed, things could have been (and could still be) far, far worse. But -- and this may just be blind optimism -- I'd like to believe that things are not just looking up, but are actually on the mend. And so, as we find ourselves at yet another transition from one year to the next, looking back on the past and hopefully to the future, I am reminded of that Counting Crows song from the '90s:

And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe

Maybe this year will be better than last
I can't remember all the times I've tried to tell myself
To hold on to these moments as they pass.

On a lighter note, I'd argue that a necessary precursor to embracing the present is to keep track of it. Sure, you could rely on your Outlook calendar (and boy, do I), but sometimes it's nice to have something pretty to look at as well -- and I am not talking about those horribly cheesy "rah team!" calendars handed out by your company. Every year I indulge in one or two (or three) desk and/or wall calendars to decorate my offices at home and work.

Of course, if you're still doing some last-minute shopping for the holidays, calendars also happen to make the perfect, inexpensive gift. If they're monogrammed (like the Dabney Lee version above) or contain personal pictures, then all the better. I typically buy an extra one or two every year for emergency gifts for co-workers and acquaintances.

Source list (clockwise from top left): 1. Snow & Graham Wall Calendar ($29). 2. Tara Hogan Letterpress Calendar ($42). 3. Paris is for Lovers Calendar (Irene Suchoki; $20). 4. Illustrated Desk Calendar (Up Up Creative; $18). 5. Letterpress Calendar with Walnut Base (The Paper Thieves; $26). 6. Desktop Calendar (Michelle Brusegaard; $20).

Source list (clockwise, from top left): 1. Custom Photo Calendar (Story by Mia; $50). 2. Lily Pulitzer Wall Calendar ($24.99). 3. Perpetual Calendar - Blue (Orange Beautiful; $28). 4. Kate Spade Desktop Calendar ($20). 5. Keep Calm and Carry On Printable Spoof Calendar (Women) (Little Brown Pen; $5). 6. Avie Designs Desktop Calendar ($20).