Thursday, April 14, 2011

"Studying . . . "





Greetings,

Quite often I'm asked from where these little musings come.  And, of course, there's rarely an easy answer to that question.  Sometimes it's an interesting trend that I've noticed in a design magazine.  Or a movie or concert that I've recently seen.  But, most often, it's directly connected to things happening here in the office.

Sometimes we're measuring for light fixtures.  Sometimes I'm toiling at my desk, designing custom furniture for a client.  And clearly, sometimes I'm just staring at the grass outside - lol.

But, for the last few days I've been researching traditional English studies and libraries.  I have two current clients in need of the classic style and easy elegance of these amazing spaces.  A place to retreat from the hectic day.  Escape into an amazing novel.  Or just sit and survey the memories of a lifetime of travel.

Chatsworth House, 1995

SMW Design, Nob Hill (photo credit - Nicolas Smith)
Ralph Lauren Home Collection, Fall 2008
SMW Design, San Francisco(photo credit - Nicolas Smith)

The Library of Gil Schafer
Duff House, Scotland
Ralph Lauren's home, from Architectural Digest
(photo credit - Durston Saylor)

SMW Design, San Francisco
(photo credit - Nicolas Smith)
Darin Geise, for San Francisco Magazine
(photo credit - Philip Harvey)
SMW Design, Nob Hill  (photo credit - Nicolas Smith)
Cheers,
Scot