Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Party in my Mouth

So I know this is not a food blog, but this is too good to keep to myself.

Sunday night my hus and I decided to treat ourselves to dinner at the Bazaar - an amazing restaurant here in LA that specializes in molecular gastronomy (basically, all the crazy-science-based food tricks you see on Top Chef.) The chef takes these tricks and add an incredible twist to Spanish tapas...

Here's a peek into our 9 course meal (yes, I'm still full two days later.)
food1
Clockwise from top left: Capirinha (a Brazilian drink - they turn the liquor into a sorbet using liquid nitrogen.) Bagels and lox (salmon roe and cream cheese in a yummy cone). Tortilla de patata (a potato foam with an egg cooked slowly so that the yolk and white are the same creamy consistency when cooked.) Olives two ways (normal olives in front, party olives in the back. They make fake olives by dipping olive juice into a solution that creates a skin around it. My favorite.)

food2
Clockwise from top left: Caprese Salad (with balls of liquid mozzarella that explode in your mouth), Gazpacho (using a gelatin-ized tomato broth), Caesar Salad (deconstructed with a quail egg yolk on top), Chicken Croquettes (deep fried chicken and bechamel - a Spanish classic.)

food3
Clockwise from top left: Cippolini onions (only dud of the evening), Lemon Spaghetti (noodles made from lemon juice), Philly Cheesesteak (the bread is filled with air, the cheese tastes like magically light foam. I want to eat this everyday.) Chicken with Mustard Caviar (now I understand why everyone on Top Chef cooks the food sous vide - slowly in a pouch in a water bath - the most amazing chicken ever.)

I've been 5 times in 2 years, and I still want more. If you come out to LA you HAVE to eat here. And call me, because I'll come too.

All photos taken by me on my iPhone using the Hipstamatic app...