Friday, April 15, 2011

Jane's House


Jane's House (as of April 15, 2011)

I know it may feel like I have abandoned you, but I promise I have not. Indeed, I've been hard at work on a new project (and a series here on Odi et Amo) -- Jane's House! My sister and her husband P.W. are designing and building a new home in the greater Houston area (right near me, in fact!) and I'm both honored and excited that they've asked for my help in decorating a few of the rooms.

While the house is still under construction, we're already starting to plan how to decorate it -- after all, that's the fun part, right? Jane and P.W. are almost doubling the square footage of their last home, so they'll be needing quite a bit of new stuff to fill the house. So, while several rooms will remain largely empty for the time being, they'd still like a few rooms to be "done" enough to feel like home. And, of course, since this is reality, they're also on a budget.

The Floor Plan

Over the course of the next few weeks, I'll be laying out some ideas for my sister on a few key rooms: her study, the master bedroom, P.W.'s media room (i.e., his pride and joy) and the open concept living room/kitchen. Throughout this process, my goals remain three-fold: to keep my "clients" happy, to stay within their budget and to demonstrate that great design can indeed come at an affordable price and from accessible sources (i.e., everything will come from "big box" stores -- no trade-only here!).

Stay tuned for the first installment next week: Jane's study! In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend!