Thursday, August 6, 2009

Color Personality Quiz

Tonight I finally had the opportunity to thumb through the September issue of House Beautiful and all I can say is "wow". The issue focused on color and there are some truly gorgeous rooms featured -- I urge anyone who doesn't have a subscription to get to their local newsstand immediately and get a copy.

The back of the issue featured a color personality test -- a series of questions with no right or wrong answers that is designed to get you thinking about what colors you naturally gravitate towards. Earlier this week, Things That Inspire did a lovely post with her answers to the quiz and I thought I might follow suit today with my own thoughts on the matter. As longtime readers know, I'm a huge fan of bold colors, so I suspect the following answers won't be much of a revelation.

House Beautiful

What is the first color you see in the morning? A deep gray-blue.

Nathan Egan

What color are your eyes? Light brown.

Mary McDonald in domino

What color do you wear the most? Navy.

Katie Ridder

What color do you never wear? Yellow.

Sherrill Canet

What do you color do you wear when you want to feel confident? Hot pink, Kelly green or peacock blue.

Metropolitan Home

What color gets you the most compliments? All of the above (which is why I wear them when I want to feel confident).

Phoebe Howard

What color is your lipstick? I don't wear much lipstick -- I prefer gloss -- but when I do, it's a nude-ish pink. I’ve always tended to focus on playing up my eyes, so I tend to go for a more natural looking lipcolor.

Sara Story

What color was your living room growing up? Walls were beige, but I remember a lot of red in the furniture, draperies, rug etc.

Ruthie Sommers

What color was your bedroom growing up? Pink and white.

Barbara Barry in Metropolitan Home

What color are your sheets? Ivory.

Annie Selke in House Beautiful

What color was favorite crayon as a child? Blue-green.

Elle Decor

What color is your car? Dark gray.

Thad Hayes

What color was your prom dress? Navy. [Moment of confession: I never got to wear it. I spent my senior prom in D.C. at an economics competition. Don't judge.]

Jamie Drake

What is your favorite flower? Orchids.

Elle Decor

What color makes you happiest? Teal, aubergine – jewel tones.

What color depresses you? Beige.

Phoebe Howard

What color calms you? Blues generally, but especially a light blue. It’s like a cool neutral – you can put anything with it, but even on its own, it can be very refreshing.


Jeffrey Bilhuber

What color makes you grind your teeth? Burnt Orange -- and I even went to UT for law school!

Elle Decor

What color would you like to try, but are scared to? I’m pretty fearless when it comes to color – both in fashion and design, but I suppose I’d have to say white. It’s the absence of color that gets me nervous, but I do think there’s something beautiful and pristine about a lovely white suit (or better yet – a white tuxedo on a woman!) or an all-white bedroom!

What about you? I'd love to hear your answers!