Monday, August 10, 2009

"Press Enter . . . "


Good morning,

I hope like many of you, I had the great delight of watching "Julie & Julia" this weekend. And I wonder how many of my fellow bloggers had chills of recognition watching Julie publish her first blog post. In the middle of a dark night. Lit only by a bright task lamp. "Press enter to publish." Wondering if it would have any impact. Or any readers. "Press enter to publish." The music swells. "Press enter." In the darkened theater, I think I may have even cried a bit - lol.

I remember the night that I published the first entry on my blog. I had been to a seminar on adapting your design business in the current economy and one of the speaker's first questions was, "How many of you have a blog?" I think two hands went up. And neither of them were mine - I only knew 'blogging' from reading "The Sartorialist" everyday. But, I did some research - it was shocking to see how vibrant the design blogging community was. So I registered with blogspot. And wrote a post. And 'saved' it. And re-wrote it the next day. And 'saved' it again - my hand sliding over the 'enter' button, but too unsure to press it. "Press enter to publish."

Well, clearly, I eventually pressed enter. (If only out of frustration that I was being so damn wimpy.) And that one "enter" has been evolving into "The Adventures of Tartanscot" that is now such an important part of my life and my business. And it has affected me in ways I could have never imagined at the time. I usually write and publish most of my posts fairly quickly. I see something, I write about it, I publish it. And it's a system that works for me. But as my blog boasts - these are the things that inspire me - lol. Well, sometimes it's tough to be constantly inspired whilst surviving a crowded city and running a busy design studio. So - I know I need to keep my eyes wide open constantly. I like it. So many times - 'being inspired' involves 'being aware.'

And, of course, I remember the first time that someone that I didn't know left a comment. There was a significant amount of giggling. And now I have new friends circling the globe. And new ones almost everyday.

So this brief missive functions to document my evolution to this point - but, more importantly, to say 'hi' to you fine folks out there. Those that I see in my day to day life. Those of you who leave comments that I've never met. Those of you who read. Those of you who enjoy. Those of you in 'the business.' Those of you who find inspiration. Those of you who inspire me.

my humble thanks and gratitude,
tartanscot

*pressing enter - - - now*