Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Colorful Wardrobe Pick-Me-Ups

As Houston continues to enjoy the drizzly, cool weather that I thought I escaped from when I left Connecticut back in 2003, I'm starting to rethink my choice of outerwear. After all, wet wool can start to take on a rather unpleasant, notsofresh, smell. A classic alternative would be along the lines of Audrey Hepburn's smartly tailored trench in Breakfast at Tiffany's (wherein that final rainy scene ranks as one of my all-time favorite scenes in cinematic history). But, if you're looking for a more modern, 21st century take on the trench coat, there are plenty of colorful, fashion forward options that are sure to chase away the winter blues.

From top left: 1. King Street Twill Bow Trench Coat by Kate Spade ($645). 2. Michael Michael Kors short trench ($100). 3. J.Crew ruffled gamine trench ($178). 4. Burberry packable trench coat in blush pink ($595). 5. Nick & Mo Topstitched Trench ($78) 6. Scallop Trim Coat from Boden ($198). 7. Indigo Trench from Banana Republic ($175). 8. Into the Wild trench from Marc by Marc Jacobs ($498).