Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"Tinkling . . . "

Greetings everyone,

There are a few phrases that always bring a smile to my face. "Oh Scot, everything looks wonderful!" or maybe "We've been talking, and yes, maybe we should increase the budget." or my perennial favourite - "Is there room to add a grand piano?"  I've studied piano for most of my life and almost always end up playing at most parties that I attend.  I find that providing that magical place where music and camaraderie collide to be one of the most delightful elements in any project.

This is on my mind because I spent a goodly portion of my day today working in Berkeley, at a new project, working to find the proper placement for an amazing antique piano.  Luckily, I was paired with some very patient piano movers who would indulge me as we found the 'perfect' place.  

I've been lucky to have several pianos in my design portfolio - like this wonderful instrument - with one of the best views of the San Francisco skyline.

Or this charming 7 foot grand piano overlooking a French inspired home in the Palo Alto area, just south of SF.  I was in the great habit of sitting and playing Chopin etudes when I was working at the house.  It was the perfect way to focus my thoughts.  Ah . . . . . . 

image from House Beautiful
I always find the serpentine shape to be so amazingly graceful.  

and it's always the perfect answer for that expansive bay window, and the polished ebony finish is such a great contrast to almost any colour story.

It can be placed in that odd space in the corner -

Or tucked in the small nook under the stairs.

But most importantly, it can fill a quiet, empty room with the wonder of music.  It can provide hours of entertainment on a lonely afternoon.  Or be the focus of any gathering - as good friends incircle the instrument in the spontaneity of song.  

Music.  Style. and Friendship.  What else can bring all of those elements to one's home?