Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Converting the Unconvertable

As I've mentioned before, Dave has a general dislike for wallpaper. I'm not sure if it's the expense (compared to paint), the difficulty in putting it up (not to mention taking it down) or just that he still associates wallpaper with the hideous cartoon borders and "grandma" florals that dominated our childhoods in the '80s and early '90s.

I tend to view Dave's resistance to something as a challenge to convert him to my way of thinking. I knew though that if I could find the "perfect" wallpaper for Dave, that he'd not only relent and let me wallpaper at least a few rooms in the new house, but that he may even end up liking the final result. Now there are a few things I know about my husband's taste: (1) he likes jewel-tone blues and greens, (2) he likes metallics, (3) he likes nature-inspired themes, and (4) he likes intricacy and ornate patterns over simplicity and geometics.


Last week I found this, the perfect wallpaper for Dave. It's from Graham & Brown and called "Enchant - Ultramarine". It hits all the right notes and in person it's even more beautiful as the trees have a translucent quality that make them appear as if they'd been carefully silk-screened, one by one, onto the paper (Graham & Brown will send you samples free of charge, you just pay shipping). What's interesting is that, while I suggested this wallpaper for the powder room, Dave loved it so much he wants to do an entire wall of it in his "man" room, and then paint the rest of the room in a coordinating shade of teal. I'm not entirely sure if the end result will be particularly masculine, but I do think it will be beautiful.

But now the important question:

While I managed to convince Dave of the virtues of modern wallpaper, we still need to decide on the "perfect" paper for the powder room. I've narrowed it down to our two favorite choices (Sariskar Banswara by Henry Wilson for Osborne & Little and Stella-Amethyst by Marcel Wanders for Graham & Brown) and would like to open this one up for a vote.