Monday, June 8, 2009

"A Good Southern Porch . . . "


Greetings everyone,

I was having a long chat with my Mom over the weekend about re-designing our porch at home and it has sent me on a two day 'image search' looking for inspiration and direction for the project.  I love the above image, but it really feels a bit too 'contemporary' for my parent's house in Mississippi . . .

But THIS - this is a classic southern entry porch.  Columns.  Ferns.  Beautiful ironwork.  and of course, the cat.  Simple, yet stately.  Proud, but very welcoming.


And there's nothing like a wide southern porch to get my heart stirring.  Rattan furniture.  Bead board ceiling.  Huge ferns.  Highly polished, dark stained floors.  and the ubiquitous ceiling fan.  ahhhhh . . . .

Or we could re-think the back porch - maybe just simplify the colour story.  but, add amazing climbing roses . . . encircling the conversation.  This one's gonna take some time and might be a bit more construction than we're thinking at the moment . . . but . . . hmmmmmm . . .

But, this, this could be something.  I love the combination of the fireplace and the ceiling fan . . . lol.  It is clearly a space for all seasons.  Stylish and comfortable.  Let me send a few things off to Mom and see what she thinks.