Monday, November 16, 2009

Guest Bedroom Update

Back in September I blogged about my love for DwellStudio for Target's Hadley Headboard. The modern bold stripes paired with the more traditional curve of the headboard is truly high-end design at a budget price. Well, when after a few weeks I still couldn't get it out of my head, I decided to go ahead and purchase the brown and white striped version for one of my guest rooms.

"Before"

After a few weeks of waiting, the headboard finally arrived (in a very large box!) on my doorstep last Thursday. The headboard was easy to assemble -- all we had to do was screw the legs (which you can adjust based on the thickness of your mattress/box spring) and then attach the legs to our existing bed frame.

"After"

While it seems like the "lacquer"-like finish on the frame scratches easily, I was impressed with the upholstery job and solid construction of the frame. All in all a very good product for the money. For a design standpoint in this particular room, I like how the bold stripes play up the striped sheets (also from Tar-jay). By repeating a pattern already existing in the space, I think the headboard lends a sense of cohesion to a space assembled predominately from hand-me-downs and leftovers. I also like the boldness of pairing such a large-scale stripe with a similarly scaled nature motif on the duvet. At some point (because I can't help myself) I'd like to paint the room (in a TBD color, but maybe a soft blue-green?) and upgrade the side tables and lamps to something a bit bolder/more interesting...but for now I'm going to deem this room ready and fit for company -- and just in time for Thanksgiving, too.